Cookbook operates several websites and applications including, but not limited to, the Cookbook App (https://thecookbookapp.com) and CustomCookBook (https://custom.thecookbookapp.com) and all associated web and mobile applications (all collectively, our “Services”, "Products", "Websites", "Apps").
We gather and use certain information about individuals in order to provide products and to enable certain functions throughout our Services.
To use some of our Services, you may be required to sign up for a private account to securely store your information and data.
Our services collect a range of data from you to be stored and made easily accessible through your private account.
This includes information you transmit including, but not limited to, recipe data, ingredients, images and notes.
While using our service, we automatically collect a range of information to better understand how visitors use our Services.
This information helps us to support, improve and develop our products, to present timely relevant information and to monitor the Services.
This includes, but is not limited to, the type of mobile device you use, the IP address of your device and your operating system, and unique device identifier information.
If you have any correspondence with Cookbook support, technical services or complete a marketing survey, your information that you provide when you report a problem or submit the correspondence may be kept as long as needed.
We may from time to time contact you regarding promotional mailings, about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you but you will always be offered a chance to opt out of these.
2. What Data We Collect.
When utilising our Services or contacting us, we may request or automatically collect the following information:
- Service Preferences: User preferences that you provide us to help us tailor our Servcies to you.
- Device Information: Browser and device identifiers, and connection information such as IP addresses to enable services and to analyse trends, administer our Services, track use around our Services, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
- Payment Information: Relevant payment transaction information but only as actioned through our third party merchants (such as the Apple App Store and Google Play Store). This does not include sensitive information relating to the payment medium itself (such as credit card numbers).
- System Logging: For systems administration, detecting usage patterns and troubleshooting purposes, our web servers automatically log standard access information including browser type, access times, URL requested, and referral URL. The majority of this information is not linked to personally identifiable information.
- Usage Information: Details of your access and use of the Service including, but not limited to, traffic data, broad location data, other communication data, the resources that you access and the areas of the Service that you access.
- Customer Support: If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and other information relevant to client enquiries. This includes any information you provide when you report a problem with the Service or provide any feedback on our Services.
- Other information: All voluntary information you provide us if you complete any surveys that we use for research purposes.
The nature of some of our Services requires that you provide information to us to be stored on our Services and Products. Where you are required to sign up we may collect the following information in conjunction with all other collected information:
- Account Information: Personal information, such as your name, email address and a password to register the account.
- Content Information: Content including, but not limited to text, information and images you supply when creating or posting information through our Service. However, any images provided or uploaded on our Services must not contain any personal information.
- Other Personal Information: Demographic information, such as preferences and interests.
3. How We Use This Data.
Collecting this data allows us to provide our Service and functions to you, helps us understand your needs and what you expect from us as Cookbook, enabling us to deliver improved Products and Services. Specifically, we may use data for:
Providing, Developing and Improving our Services
Providing Personalised Account Services
- Delivering the information and support you request, support and administrative messages, alerts, and provide assistance for problems with our Services
- Providing, maintaining and improving our Services
- Developing new Products, services and improvements
- Improving, personalising, and facilitating your use of our Services
- Providing you with the Products and features you choose to use
- Processing or recording payment transactions
- Measuring, tracking, and analysing trends and usage in connection with your use or the performance of our Services
Protecting our Services and Maintaining Security
- Where required and provided, to create you a personalised private account to securely store your information and data within. This is in integral part of some of our Services that allows your data to be secured and accessible by only you.
- Investigating, detecting, preventing, or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, other potentially prohibited or illegal activities, or to otherwise help protect your account or information.
- Protecting the security and integrity of our Services.
- Enforcing our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies.
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulations, or in response to lawful requests for information from the government or through legal process
- Contacting you to provide assistance with our Services
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in conjunction with our Services.
4. Information We Share or Disclose
We will never lease, distribute or sell your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or the law requires us to.
To provide our Services, we may share some information about you as follows:
- CookBook Business Partners: To provide some of our Services, CookBook partners with carefully selected third parties who provide specific content for our Services. This content includes text, images and media displayed to you through our Apps. Where CookBook deems it beneficial to, CookBook may share or disclose your information with our partners as outlined above in section 3 (How We Use This Data). This is for the bettering of our Products and Services and for customer service & technical support.
- Business / Corporate Changes: Where CookBook undergoes a corporate merger or sale, information will be provided to a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of our Services or in connection with (including, without limitation, during the negotiation or due diligence process of) a corporate merger, consolidation, or restructuring; the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets; financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or other corporate change.
- Safety & Legal Compliance: If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g. law enforcement agencies, etc.); or, to enforce or comply with our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies; or, to protect our or other's rights, or the security or integrity of our Services; or, to protect us, users of our Services from harm, fraud, or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
- With Your Consent: Where you explicitly authorise us to share this information on your behalf.
- Aggregated / Anonymised Information: We also may share aggregated and anonymised information that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
Any individually identifiable information related to data will never be used in any way different to that stated above without your explicit permission.
5. Cookies, Analytics and How We Use Them.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer or device which enables our Service to identify your computer as you view or access different pages or areas of our Service. Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the Service and what pages or areas they tend to visit.
- Analyse our traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve our structure, design, content and functions.
- Test content on our Service. For example, 50% of our users might see one piece of content, the other 50% a different piece of content.
- Store information about your preferences. The Service can then present you with information you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our Service. We may show your relevant content, or provide functionality you used previously and automaticaly identify whether you are signed in to our Service.
- Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
We use third-party service providers to provide website metrics and other analytics services.
This information can be used by us and third-party service providers on our behalf to analyze and track usage of our Services, determine the popularity of certain content, and better understand how you use our Services.
The third-party service providers that we engage are bound by confidentiality obligations and other restrictions with respect to their use and collection of your information.
For more information, we encourage you to check the privacy policies of these third parties to learn about their privacy practices.
Examples of our third-party service providers used to help deliver our Services or to connect to our Services include:
- Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics to understand how our Services perform and how you use them. To learn more about how Google processes your data, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/. To opt out of Google Analytics please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Our Services are general audience services not directed at children, and you may not use our Services if you are under the age of 13.
You must also be old enough to consent to the processing of your personal data in your country (in some countries we may allow your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf).
If we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will take steps delete the information as soon as possible.
7. Links from Our Services.
We do not monitor or review the content of other party’s services or websites which are linked to from our Service. Opinions expressed or material appearing on such websites are not necessarily shared or endorsed by us and should not be regarded as the publisher of such opinions or material. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices, or content, of these sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site & to read the privacy statements of these sites. You should evaluate the security and trustworthiness of any other site connected to this site or accessed through this site yourself, before disclosing any personal information to them. This Company will not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage in whatever manner, howsoever caused, resulting from your disclosure to third parties of personal information.
8. Controlling Information About You.
We generally retain your information as long as reasonably necessary to provide you the Services or to comply with applicable law.
If you reside in the European Union, you have the right under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to request from CookBook access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, restriction of processing of your personal data, the right to object to processing of your personal data, and the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. If you reside outside of the European Union, you may have similar rights under your local laws.
To request access, rectification or erasure of your personal data, or to delete your CookBook account, please see below:
- Personal Information: If you require access, change or correction of information that you have provided or we have collected when you access our Services, you can contact us using the information provided below under Contact.
- Account Deletion: If you create an account to utilise our Service, you will be able to delete this account by logging into you account, visiting settings and selecting delete account. Alternatively, you can contact us using the information provided below under Contact. If you delete your account, we may keep some limited information for up to six years after your account is deleted for internal uses and to help deal with any disputes. That timeframe may vary if we are legally required to keep information for a particular period.
- Marketing & Advertisement: If you wish to opt in or out of any marketing or promotional messages, you can follow the opt out option provided within any message received. If you opt out, you will still receive non-promotional communications about your account. Alternatively, you can contact us using the information provided below under Contact.
Whilst the Data Protection Act 1998 & the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) may give you the right to access the information that we hold about you, please note that any demand for access may be subject to payment of a fee of £50 to cover our administrative costs in providing you with the information requested. Should you have any questions, please use the information provided below under Contact.
9. Security, Storage and Processing.
We may transfer data that we collect from you to locations outside of the European Economic area for processing and storing.
In addition, it may be processed by staff operating outside the European Economic area who work for us or for one of our suppliers.
For example, such staff may be engaged in the processing and concluding of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
To prevent unauthorised disclosure or access to your information, we have implemented strong physical and electronic security safeguards.
We also follow stringent procedures to ensure we work with all personal data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 & the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU).
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically and the transmission of such data is entirely at your own risk.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password so that you can access certain areas of our Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
You can prevent unauthorized access to any CookBook accounts you have by choosing a longer password containing numbers and letters, by limiting the access to your computer and browser, and by logging out from your account when you are done using the service.
Should you have accidentally disclosed your password to someone, or otherwise come to suspect someone might be accessing your account, you can easily change your password by choosing a new one in your account settings.
If we make changes that are material, we make reasonable efforts to let you know by placement on our website or applications, or by sending you an email or other communication when these changes take effect.
We however encourage you to review our policy each time you visit our Services to see if it has been updated since your last use.
If you disagree with our changes, then you should stop using our Services immediately and remove all associated data.
The Cookbook app, CustomCookBook and all associated websites, apps and relevant media are products of Cookbook Ltd, 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU, England. Registered in the United Kingdom, company number: 10086673